Low FODMAP Gravy
Looking for low FODMAP instant gravy?
THE BAD NEWS
The truth is it doesn't exist as far as we know. Not even Massel makes a gravy that is suitable for the low FODMAP diet. We have confirmed with Massel in Australia that the product pictured and other Massel gravy flavours currently available in the UK are NOT suitable for the low FODMAP diet.
Most instant gravies contain "vegetable flavours" that are likely to contain high FODMAP concentrates from onion, garlic, leeks and/or celery, so it is important to use a product that has been certified as low FODMAP.
THE GOOD NEWS
Massel is making a new range of gravies that will be certified by Monash University and FODMarket is liasing with Massel to get them to the UK as soon as they are available later this year. So watch this space!
5 MINUTE LOW FODMAP GRAVY RECIPE:
In the mean time, we suggest you make your own gravy using your choice of Monash Certified Massel Stock and the recipe below.
1. Put the kettle on for boiling water
2. Mix the following in a mug to form a smooth paste:
- 2 Tbsp cornflour
- 1 Tbsp Massel stock powder (Beef, Chicken or Vegetable Style)
- 2 Tbsp COLD water
- 10 drops of gravy browning (optional)
3. Add the paste and 300ml boiling water to a small saucepan and bring to the boil whilst stirring continuously. Optional: add some meat fat to taste.